The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced changes today to the names of several of the faith’s websites, social media accounts and mobile apps. It is part of a broader effort to reflect the faith’s full name and better convey commitment to follow Jesus Christ.
Websites: The Church’s official website will become ChurchofJesusChrist.org. This change is effective today, March 5, 2019, when the domain name ChurchofJesusChrist.org begins pointing to the LDS.org homepage. In the coming months, the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain name will replace what were the following:
- LDS.org—will become ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- MormonNewsroom.org—will become newsroom.ChurchofJesusChrist.org
Eventually, Mormon.org will be incorporated into the new domain as well. However, because its primary audience is those outside the Church, merging it with the Church member-focused ChurchofJesusChrist.org will take more time.
Work is underway to unify and restructure all these websites into a new, more cohesive and personalized experience under the ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain. Until that time, Mormon.org will change to ComeUntoChrist.org.
Social Media: Several Church social media accounts will consolidate and publish content focused on living and sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- A new Facebook group has been established to build community and better inform individuals about Church news and updates. This group is called “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints—Inspiration and News.” This group is designed to be a place of community and connection for Latter-day Saints.
- The Church’s Twitter account display name will continue to be called “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” with the username of @ChurchNewsroom and will be the primary source on social media for news from the Church.
Mobile Apps: Many of the Church’s mobile apps will be renamed:
- LDS Music—will become “Sacred Music”
- The Gospel Library app keeps the same name
Email Domain: The email addresses of Church employees and general Church leaders will begin using the @ChurchofJesusChrist.org domain instead of the current @ldschurch.org.
Much work remains, particularly as the Church makes changes in languages throughout the world. The First Presidency asks Latter-day Saints and others “to be patient and courteous as changes are made.”